24/01/2007

It bags and their languages


Ever since women discover the semiotic power of them, handbags become the ultimate status marker. Seda Yilmaz explores their communicative ability.

Prada nylon bag: “I was the high status staple back in the old days.”
The Baguette bag: “Each one of you can find a yummy piece that fits best to your gusto.”
Chanel 2.55: “I’m the portable status symbol with my interlocking C’s and chain strap.”
The Birkin bag: As Sex & the City’s PR whiz Samantha Jones puts it: “Honey, this bag screams ‘You’ve made it!’”
The Kelly bag: “I can turn you into a princess over night.”
Gucci Jackie bag: “Jackie Kennedy Onassis made me famous.”
Louis Vuitton Speedy: “I’m one of the ultimate classics.”
Dior Saddle bag: “Sex & the City’s columnist Carrie Bradshaw carried three versions of me in the course of 30 minutes.”
Luella Gisele bag: “I owe my fame to a supermodel called Gisele Bundchen. I’m as attractive as she is.”
Louis Vuitton Manhattan: “Best regards to Marc Jacobs.”
Mulberry Roxanne: “I’m a logo free signature bag. Very British!”
Balenciaga Motorcycle bag: “Don’t you wanna look like Kate Moss?”
Chloé Paddington: “Find me if you can!”
Fendi Spy bag: “I know you all love waiting lists. That’s why you love me.”
The Novak bag: “The ones who carry me without reading the prospectus may feel vertigo. All the rest will be Hitchcock heroines.”
Chloé Betty: “My name is a bit old fashioned but I’ll be the most coveted handbag of the season.”
Louis Vuitton vinyl-coated silk scarf bag: “Let’s go back to the glamorous days of the 80’s.”
YSL Muse Bag: “I’m an instant classic. Get ready to see me in every A-Lister’s hand.”
Fendi B bag: “You’ll be attracted to my red patent leather.”
Mulberry Rosemary: “Watch the movie ‘Match Point’ carefully and you’ll see Scarlett Johansson carrying me.”

1 comment:

  1. http://www.shopstarstyle.com Shop Star Style has become the favorite stop for many celebrities and the who's who in Hollywood. One trip to ShopStarStyle.com and you will be hooked. Looking for the hottest handbag at a discount price? It's here. Looking for gifts for birthdays, weddings or someone you love? It's here. Got to have that necklace you saw in In Style Magazine? It's here. Where did Lindsay get that dress? Yes, at Shop Star Style. From bling to bluejeans, celebs like Jessica Simpson, Nicole Ritchie, Paris Hilton and Mischa Barton get their goodies here. Use code LUXURY for 25% off!

    ReplyDelete